Background on Nitric Oxide (NO) Testing
Nitric oxide (NO) is a reactive free radical that plays an important role in many key physiological functions. NO is the arginine oxidation product of nitric oxide synthase, which participates in host defense and development, activation of regulatory proteins, and direct covalent interaction with functional biomolecules. Simple, direct, and automated procedures for measuring NO are becoming more and more popular in research and drug discovery. Since NO is oxidized into nitrite and nitrate, it is common practice to quantify total NO2-/NO3- as a measure of NO level. The reaction product can be measured at a colorimetric reading of 550 nm.
Nitric Oxide (NO) Test Kits
The interaction of nitric oxide in the system is measured by measuring the concentration of nitrate and nitrite in the sample. The relative levels of nitrite and nitrate can vary greatly, so the most accurate determination of total NO production requires the measurement of nitrate and nitrite. The nitric oxide (NO) test kits we provide have the following two detection options:
- Measure endogenous nitrite: use a fluorescent probe to directly detect nitric oxide in intact living cells. Nitric oxide-specific probes are extremely photostable and provide a wide pH stability range of 5.5 to 9.0.
- Use nitrate reductase to convert nitrate to nitrite and measure total nitrite: nitric oxide is measured indirectly by the decomposition products of nitric oxide in cell lysate, tissue homogenate, plasma, serum, saliva, urine and cell culture supernatant. The analysis can be used for colorimetric or fluorescence detection in 96-well plates.
Fig 1. Optimized incubation regime for nitric oxide measurements in murine macrophages using the Griess assay. (Schmölz L, et al, 2017)
Advantages of Nitric Oxide (NO) Test Kits
- High cost performance, saving experiment cost.
- A variety of methods were used, and the solution system for its determination was optimized to make the detection limit reach 1 μM.
The reaction conditions are mild, and the required instrument cost is low.
- The detection speed is extremely fast, and it only takes 3 minutes to complete a standard curve or 5-10 samples.
- It has a wide range of samples and can detect the content of nitric oxide in cells or tissues and their culture fluid. Both phenol red and 10% serum have no significant interference in the determination. It can also detect the content of nitric oxide in serum, plasma and urine.
- There are multiple specifications, customers can choose according to their needs.
CD BioSciences provides a wide range of nitric oxide (NO) test kits used to detect the content of nitric oxide in biological samples. We are committed to producing fast, efficient, safe and inexpensive nitric oxide (NO) test kits to meet your requirements. If you are interested in our products, welcome to contact us for products quotations and more detailed information.
1. Schmölz L, Wallert M, Lorkowski S. (2017) Optimized incubation regime for nitric oxide measurements in murine macrophages using the Griess assay. J Immunol Methods. 449: 68-70.
It should be noted that our products are for research purposes only. Not suitable for any clinical use.